Search This Blog

Monday, August 18, 2008

Life at IIT Bombay

Yes guys, it's been a long time since I blogged. I mainly attribute it to the deluge of assignments that I've been given.

Lots of you have been asking me - "How's life at IITB?", hence this post.

Before I came to IITB, I had imagined that it'd have green-carpet lawns, neatly pruned hedges and aesthetic looking trees etc. It's not so. IITB is wild. It has huge trees, with climbers covering the trunks, going all the way up to the branches, and then hanging down like ropes. It has money plants with leaves as big as banana leaves (I'm not exaggerating), parrots, mynas, pigeons, cranes, sea gulls and many other kinds of birds that I don't recognize.

IITB is flanked on the left by a green hill, and on the right by a lake. Near the hill is a national park (from which a panther had wandered into the campus a few years ago).

Moving from the wildlife to the hostels, most of the hostels look as if they may crumble any moment. But looks can be deceiving ;) The hostels are built to stand the Mumbai rains. Even during heavy rains that we saw in the last month, none of the rooms got even a drop of water inside, and no water logging anywhere. Every hostel consists of about six 3-storeyed buildings, and one can go from any building to any other building without getting wet. The rooms are good and comfy, bathrooms are beautiful too ;) We get hot water even at midnight! There are washing machines to do the laundry, a billiards table, TT table, carroms and a gym (all this within the hostel). We also get a dozen different newspapers everyday. Food is great most of the time(yeah, honest!)

I'll talk about the lessons some other day. That's it for now :)